The Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE) project is a computer desktop environment for Unix-like operating systems with a primary goal of retaining the function and form of traditional desktop computers.
We seek to provide a traditional desktop environment which is . . .
- Flexible and highly customizable.
- Visually appealing.
- Equipped with a suitable collection of desktop effects that remain compatible with older hardware.
- Responsive on older hardware, while also being compatible with newer hardware.
- Compatible with, but not requiring, 3D acceleration.
- Compatible with freedesktop.org and Linux file system hierarchy standards.
- Compatible with other desktop environments.
- Capable of offering maximal HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) efficiency in a mouse/keyboard environment.
- Traditional panel, task bar, task manager, quick launch.
- A repository of TDE compatible software applications, including several text editors, a file manager, image viewers, office apps, an archive manager, and the original and improved classic Amarok music player. Full list of applications
- Optional Secure Attention Key to further secure the login and desktop lock dialogs.
- A TDE-specific DBUS notification client for improved integration with common applications such as Firefox and NetworkManager (with no need for HAL).
- Plus much more! Full list of features
The TDE project began as a continuation of the K Desktop Environment (KDE) version 3. The name Trinity was chosen partly because the word means "three" and TDE was a continuation of KDE 3. TDE now is its own computer desktop environment project.
The TDE project was founded by and is still led by Timothy Pearson. Timothy is an experienced and skilled software developer and was the KDE 3.x coordinator of previous Kubuntu releases.
TDE 3.5.11: April 29, 2010.
TDE 3.5.12: October 3, 2010.
TDE 3.5.13: November 1, 2011.
TDE 18.104.22.168: October 10, 2012.
TDE 22.214.171.124: July 21, 2013.
TDE R14.0.0: December 16, 2014.
TDE R14.0.1: August 30, 2015
TDE R14.0.2: Anticipated in Q4 2015.
NOTE: The Trinity Desktop Environment project is not a continuation of KDE 3.5 by KDE e.V., members of which no longer support the KDE 3 series. Trinity is an independent fork using a separate developer community.
© 2011-2015 Trinity Desktop Project